We believe that trauma is subjective which means that trauma can be identified as anything to anyone. There is not one person in the world that can tell you that your trauma isn’t real or that it didn’t occur. Trauma presents in various forms such as sexual, physical, and emotional abuse, accidents and injuries, major life transitions, natural disasters, a toxic relationship, etc. The list goes on and on.
In knowing how common trauma is, all of our therapists at Feel Good Counseling Center are equipped to treat trauma and/or PTSD.
- According to the four types of symptoms listed in the DSM-5
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
The effects of trauma or PTSD can be long-lasting and can impact various (or all) aspects of your life. Our goal is to not only make you feel validated and safe, but to also make you feel like you can effectively recover from any traumatic event(s). Trauma may result in symptoms such as flashbacks, nightmares, difficulties in relationships, mistrust of others, re-experiencing, hypervigilance, anxiety, anger, emotional distress, and sadness. These emotions can impact all aspects of your life and may result in you feeling as if you are living the same cycle over and over again.
We understand that processing this trauma can be a daunting feeling and you may not know where to start. We are dedicated to help you process through your trauma, learn about trauma and the unique ways it impacts your brain, and help you recover and heal. We will help you connect with your past experiences in a healthy and effective way. We will move at a pace in which you feel comfortable and will be there every step of the way!